Friday, November 22, 2013

NaNo Update, and a few book recs

It's a cold, snowy day outside, which means I'm spending way too much time staring out the window and dreaming of winter adventures...

My husband Robert skiing powder in Snowbird's Mineral Basin
Me preparing to jump a cornice at Arapahoe Basin
Me and Robert after hiking up to Highlands Bowl, at Aspen Highlands.  Skiing down, you get to enjoy some of the steepest in-bounds terrain in the state.  Great stuff.
But I'm not spending all my time fantasizing about skiing deep powder.  I'm up to 36,446 words written for the month, well on my way to 50K, with only about 9 more scenes to go to finish my first draft of The Labyrinth of Flame.  Woo hoo!

And hey, f you're looking for something to read while you wait for me to finish Labyrinth, I've got a few suggestions:



  • Master of Whitestorm, by Janny Wurts.  This one's a backlist title that's newly available on Kindle and other ebook formats.  I haven't read it yet myself, but I'm about to: I hear it has ice climbing!  Plus I know from reading some of Janny's many other excellent novels that a story of hers won't disappoint.  
Also, if you're in the UK, today's the release date for Mazarkis Williams's Tower Broken, third in the Tower and Knife trilogy.  I am so jealous of you UK folks; word is Tower Broken won't release here until fall 2014.  Having enjoyed the first two novels in the series, I shall be anxiously awaiting!

2 comments:

  1. Are you coming back to Utah this ski season? I think the resorts are all opening up this weekend. A few have already opened. Next time you head this direction let me know. I will take you to lunch or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish! (I miss skiing Alta soooooo much.) But I think we'll wait one more year. My 4yo will be doing a preschoolers' ski program at a local CO resort this year, so I'm thinking next year he'll be ready for his first family pilgrimage to Alta. :)

      We will be in UT over Thanksgiving, actually, but doing some hiking/canyoneering in the Moab & San Rafael Swell area, so not very close to SLC. But next time we're in the right area I'll definitely let you know - would love to get together.

      Delete